Monday, February 1, 2010

Personal Quilt










All of my ideas for the quilt square came from the emotions I felt while creating each quilt square. Each square felt like it came with a different feeling because each one of them represents a different aspect of me. I am happy with the decisions that I made for my quilt.

I feel like my first square is kind of empty, which I guess is OK because it was the first square I completed and was still trying to figure out how the rest of the squares were going to fit together. I also feel like I could have done better on my last square because it doesn’t feel as unified as the other three. It also feels like my future square is a bit confusing. Although I know which career I would like to follow, I don’t exactly know where I want my future to go, which is representative of the confusing state of my future square. I do know that in my future I would love to travel to different parts of the world. The cultures and languages of the outside world are fascinating and beautiful, and I would love to experience as much of that as I can. I also include a piece of art that I completed last year. I really like the patterns and I wanted to include in my square that art is a big part of me and that I want it in my future. Lastly, in my future square I pictures of me and my niece and nephew to show that as they grow I will hopefully be there to see them.

The hardest thing about the project was to figure out how to come up with four different squares while also making sure that they are unified when put together in the end. One of the things I did in order to make sure that my squares would be unified was that I kept all of the squares open while I worked on the other ones which allowed me to see how the current square was going and to see how it would fit with all the other ones.

The main two symbols that I wanted to use in my quilt squares are trees and rain. I always find beauty in trees and have always been a fan of being in the outdoors. Because every time I go somewhere with a lot of trees and where the predominant color is green, I consider such areas to be peaceful and serene. I also like to think of trees as being a good representation for freedom. Their branches could be arms and the leaves could be fingers reaching for the sky. For that reason, I used the tree brushes to unify my quilt squares. I also used rain to symbolize something that would make all the bad things just wash away. I have always loved the rain; every time I remember the past the sound of the rain is always there. Even though the trees are obvious, the rain is a little bit more obscure because it is harder to see.

I tried to be as honest as I could with representing myself through the quilt squares. Although I had a bit of trouble starting off, I think it became easier to express myself visually. Because I am a very reserved person, the hardest thing for me is allowing people to see some of the things that really make up who I am. However, I think that that’s part of the overall experience. I thought of this project as more as a reflection of who I was, who I am now and who I want to be.


No comments: